Gifts That Make an Impact Now
YOU can lead the way in protecting animals from cruelty, neglect, and exploitation now and into the future.
Here are some ways you can make a significant impact right now.
Learn more about giving to PETA from your donor-advised fund.
Qualified Charitable Distribution (QCD)
Create a more compassionate world for animals today with a gift from your IRA.
- You must be 70½ or older.
- Your gift must be transferred directly from the IRA account to PETA.
- Your gift is a transfer of funds from your IRA to PETA, so while it does not generate a charitable tax deduction, it does not create taxable income for you.*
- You may transfer up to a total of $100,000 per year (individual) or $200,000 (married couple).
- If you are required to take a Required Minimum Distribution (RMD) from your IRA, your gift can count toward it, but your gift is not limited to your RMD. If you are using a checkbook issued by your IRA administrator to make your gift, please send your gift as early as possible to ensure that it qualifies for a distribution in the current year.
If you’re interested in this popular way to support PETA, download a sample letter for your IRA administrator here.
* Due to recent changes in the laws governing retirement plans, please seek advice from your financial advisor regarding the tax implications of your gift, particularly if you plan to continue to contribute to your IRA after age 70 ½. Your gift may not qualify for these tax benefits.
Memorial or tribute gift
Your gift will honor your loved one and inspire compassion to animals.
Gifts of securities
You can use stocks, bonds and mutual funds that have appreciated in value to advocate for the rights of all animals with PETA.
You can use stocks, bonds, and mutual funds that have appreciated in value to advocate for the rights of all animals with PETA. You may receive a charitable income tax deduction for the full market value of the stock (up to a maximum of 30 percent of your adjusted gross income) and avoid paying the capital gains tax on any increase in the value of the stock.
Gifts of property
You can give gifts of property, including artwork, jewelry, and other assets.
You can give gifts of property, including artwork, jewelry, and other assets. If the property is related to PETA’s charitable purpose, the deduction is based on fair market value. If property is considered unrelated to PETA’s charitable purpose (this is more common), the deduction is based on the lesser of its fair market value or its cost basis.
Gifts of cash
You benefit from a charitable tax credit while you help protect animals from senseless cruelty.
You can make your gift online with our secure donation form or by sending a check or money order by mail to:
501 Front St.
Norfolk, VA 23510
If you’re sending a check or money order, please let us know if you’d like your gift to be used for a specific purpose.
Some types of legacy gifts discussed on this website are available only to supporters who have U.S.-generated income. Learn more about considerations for Canadian supporters here.
Please contact us if you’d like to discuss the gift options available to you and determine which is best for you now and in the future.
Create Your Will for Free >>
Questions? We’re here to help.
Vice President of Legacy Gifts, PETA Foundation
501 Front St., Norfolk, VA 23510